Professor Anthonia Ogbera (MBBS, FMCP, MPH, FACE,FACP)
Professor of Medicine/Consultant Physician Endocrinologist
The Deputy Provost for the College assists the Provost and act in his place when the latter is absent from the College/University or is for any reason unable to perform the functions of his office. He is appointed by the Council from amongst the Professors in the College, after being elected by the Academic Staff Assembly of the College.
The Deputy Provost from time to time, performs duties delegated to him by the Provost.
The following are service units under the office of the Deputy Provost:
(A) GENERAL ADMINISTRATION UNIT
Reports to Office of Deputy Provost
The activities of the Unit include:
- Immigration Formalities: Issuing letters of introduction for visas, passports, etc.
- Servicing the LASUCOM Housing Committee:
- Conveyance of approval for the use of College Auditorium
- Circulating notices of Conference/Workshops to staff for appropriate action
- Representing the Administration in the Housing Committee
- Performing other duties that may be assigned by the Deputy Provost
(B) STUDENTS' AFFAIRS UNIT
This Unit is to:
- Be in charge of students' welfare generally.
- Manage Students' Halls of Residence.
- Monitor the performances of all College staff working in the hostels.
- Ensure that hostels facilities are in good working conditions and when necessary, draw the attention of the Works and Services Department or the Administration to it.
- Monitor the activities of the caterer in the Students' Hostels.
- Co-ordinate the duties of all the House-keepers and other staff working in the hostels.
- Be in-charge of students' loans, bursaries and scholarships.
- Liaise with and assist the students in their sporting activities.
- Ix. Co-ordinate College graduands for NYSC mobilization.
- Be Secretary to:
- Students' Affairs Committee.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned by the College Secretary.
(C) ANIMAL HOUSE
To procure and raise laboratory animals for teaching and research purposes and report progress to the Deputy Provost.
The Provost of the College is the Chief Executive Officer of the College and is responsible to the Vice-Chancellor for the day-to-day running of the College. He presents to the Convocation for the conferment of degrees, persons who have qualified for degrees of the University. The Provost is elected by the Academic Staff Assembly and appointed by the Council from amongst the career full time Professors in the College after due consideration of any recommendation made in that regard by the Academic Staff Assembly of the College. The Provost is the responsible for the day-to-day affairs of the College rests in this Office, assisted by all the service units.
The following are service units under the Office of the Provost:MEDICAL LIBRARY
The Medical Library of the Lagos State University College of Medicine (LASUCOM) was established in 1999. It is a branch of the University Library at the Main Campus, Ojo, Lagos. The Medical Library is strategically located within the College of Medicine to complement training and research activities undertaken in both the College and the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, through its available facilities and services. The Medical Library has a Library Committee that reviews all matters affecting the Library and its development.BIOMEDICAL COMMUNICATIONS CENTRE
The large increase in knowledge in the Health Sciences, has made the continuing education of health professionals a particularly challenging field. To help at meeting up with this challenge, the Bio-Medical Communications Centre was established to assist the Medical/Bio-Sciences Educators train health-care personnel more efficiently than ever before. The Bio-Medical Communications Centre is a result-oriented service unit made up of three different areas:
- Art as applied to Medicine
- Medical Photography
- Audio-Visual and Television Production
The Information Unit is to perform All Public Relations duties of the College by relating with appropriate entities within, and organizations outside the College like the media, communities around and affiliates through releases of Newsflash on happenings in the College, Press Releases for public consumption and placement of advertisement when necessary. Apart for being responsible with Alumni activities, the Information Unit is also saddle with publications under its purview and as designed by the College Management towards the corporate Management.INTERNAL AUDIT UNIT
The Internal Audit Unit of the College performs the following activities:
- Advising the Chief Executive of the College on auditing of financial matters.
- Checking all approvals given by the Chief Executive on all payment vouchers before processing them for payment.
- Vouching and passing for payment all departmental imprest.
- Monitoring all financial transactions of the College and ensuring that funds are disbursed to the right channel.
- Vouching of College running cost.
- Safeguarding of College assets by recording them on inventory card.
The Works and Services Unit of the Lagos State University College of Medicine (LASUCOM) is saddle with the responsibility of adequately maintaining the College's physical structures, electrical, mechanical and telecommunication equipment. These functions shall be performed through the Works and Housing Division. The Works and Services Department is divided into the following sections:
- Electrical and Electronics section
- Estate Unit - which include capentry, masonry, plumbing and painting section
- Air conditioning and Refrigeration section.
- Mechanical equipment repair section.
The activities of the Security Unit are to:
- Ensure the security of lives and property in LASUCOM.
- Guide against fire outbreak in the College
- Take records of visitors in the College as well as students hostels.
- Monitor the movement of College vehicles and ensure that they are properly booked in and out of the College.
- Check the conditions of College vehicles before exit and on arrival from errands or visits.
- Ensure the security of lives and property at the Staff Quarters and Provost's residence.
Dean, Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences
Professor of Chemical Pathology & Consultant
Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences,
Lagos State University College of Medicine
Research Gate Profile
Professor Jacob Olugbenga Awobusuyi, is a Professor of Medicine, and an honorary Consultant Nephrologist with the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, Lagos.
He graduated from the Medical School in 1983 and obtained his Post-graduate Fellowship in Internal Medicine in 1993.
His professional, academic and research careers have focused on nephrology and tropical medicine. He is a Faculty Board member of the Faculty of Internal Medicine of the Post-graduate Medical College of Nigeria.
He later had his Postgraduate training in Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi-Araba. He is a fellow of the West African College of Surgeons. He worked as a lecturer at the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife where he served in various capacities before joining Lagos State University College of Medicine as an Associate Professor in 2013 and is currently the acting Dean, Faculty of Dentistry.
Dr Adebiyi is also a Fellow of the International College of Dentists, the International Association of Oral Pathologists (IAOP) Councilor for Africa and the President of the African regional wing of International Association of Oral Pathologists (IAOP-Africa). He is an external examiner to various Institutions at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels and has various academic publications in both local and international journals.
Mr. Adelaja Olugbenga Oyebanjo (B.S.c (sociology) AMNIM)
The Secretary to the College is of a status of Deputy Registrar. He is responsible to the Provost for the day-to-day administration of the affairs (other than the financial affairs) of the College. He is appointed by the Court of Governors. By virtue of his office, he is the Secretary to the Court of Governors, the Academic Board and the Academic Staff Assembly.
The College Administration Department which is under the College Secretary includes the following:
(A) ACADEMIC AFFAIRS UNIT
The activities of the Unit include:
- Processing of forms for admission to all courses undertaken in the College.
- Verification of qualifications claimed by applicants for admission.
- Publication of results after necessary approvals.
- Issuance of Statement of Result to candidates.
- Keeping records of all In-Course Assessments.
- Issuance of transcripts, academic certifications, students' statistics.
- Custodian of students' records.
- Service the following Boards/Committees/Panels:
- Board of Examiners
- Admissions Committee
- Curriculum Review Committee
- Panel on Examination Malpractices
- Academic Board
- Academic Staff Assembly.
(B) PERSONNEL AFFAIRS UNIT
The activities of the Unit include:
i. Staff Appointments and Promotion
- Processing of Advertisements, Annual Evaluation Forms and recommendations from Faculties in the College.
- Processing reports of Specialist Interview Panels.
- Processing of letters of Annual Increments to all junior and senior staff in the College.
- Liaising with the appropriate officer at Ojo Campus in respect of appointments tenable in the College.
- Secretary of:
- College Appointments, Promotions and Disciplinary Committee.
- Appointments and Promotions (Senior Administrative/Technical Staff) Committee.
- Appointments, Promotions and Disciplinary (Junior Staff) Committee.
ii. Leave Matters
Issuing of letters for Annual, Research and Casual leaves and corresponding with the Accounts Department on Leave Allowance.
iii. Staff Records
Personnel Affairs Unit keeps all staff records including records of those who have left the service.
iv. Issuance of Identity Cards
He left the Civil service in 1988 for the organized private sector, he worked variously at KPMG Peat Marwick Ani Ogunde & Co.
(Chartered Accountants) where he was engaged to provide Audit, Taxation, Company Secretarial services to Firms and Industries in Commerce, Manufacturing and Financial Institution. Other reputable organisations where Biodun worked include defuncted Allied Bank of Nigeria PLC, UACN PLC and Sweet Sensation Confectionery Company Limited.
He joined Lagos State University College of Medicine (LASUCOM), Ikeja on 1st March 2007 as Financial Controller; a post he still creditably hold till today. Other professional qualifications held by Biodun are ACIS (London); ACA, FCA (ICAN). In Information System and Information Technology; he has the following qualifications in these areas, such as CISA, CISM and COBIT5. He belongs to professional bodies such as ICAN, NIM, CITN ISACA, and member Rotary Club of Ogudu, GRA, District 9110.
He is happily married with children.
Mr. A. O. Ademosu B.Sc (Hons); PGDM, ACIS; ACA; FCA; CISA; CISM
The Financial Controller is of the status of a Deputy Bursar who and is responsible to the Provost for the day-to-day administration of the financial affairs of the College.
The Financial Controller is appointed by the Court of Governors. By virtue of the office, he is a member of relevant standing committees and also some committees of the Court of Governors.
The Accounts Department which is under the direction of the Financial Controller consists of the following units:
1. Budget/Expenditure Control Unit:
This Unit is responsible for the preparation of the Annual Budget.
- Control of Budgeted Expenditure through Commitment against each Vote Head in the Budget.
- Issuance of LPO to Suppliers.
- Settlement of External Assessors.
2. Treasury/Cash Office:
This unit collects and issues receipts for all monies collected.
- Funds from imprest are disbursed.
- The cash books are written up.
- The takings and banking are analyzed.
- Receipts & Payment of Cheques and Cash on behalf of the College.
- Processing of Payment Transaction.
- Banking Operations.
- Updating of all Cash Books.
3. Salaries and Wages Unit:
- This unit deals mainly with preparation of staff salaries for Full time staff and Associate Lecturers (Part time). Allowances are also paid to Youth Corpers and students on Industrial Training.
- Processing of Staff Pension deduction and payment of Pension and Gratuity to Retiring Staff.
- Processing of Tax Clearance Certificate to staff.
- Payment of Honorarium and External Assessors and members of the Court of Governors.
4. Final Account Unit:
- The unit Writes the necessary subsidiary ledgers and general ledgers. Final Account is prepared here for External Auditors' examination at Ojo. For now, these two functions are combined into a unit because of size of operations.
- Prepares Bank and other Accounts Reconciliation
- Processes Journal
- Updates Asset Register
- Handles Insurance of College Assets
5. Stores Unit:
The College operates a Central Stores System that covers th following:
- Stationery store
- Furniture equipment and tools store
- Engineering equipment and tools store
- Laboratory equipment and chemical store
- Health drugs store
- Activities of the Stores Unit include:
- Receiving goods into store for safe keeping pending allocation
- Ensuring stocks are properly kept to avoid damage
- Issuing stock items to requesting Departments as committed and approved.
- Making requisition for stock replenishments.
No record found.
The Medical Librarian is of the status of Deputy University Librarian and is responsible to the Provost for the day-to-day administration of the Medical Library. He is appointed by the Council. By virtue of the office, he is a member of the Academic Board, Faculty Boards of Studies and their relevant standing committees and also some committees of the Court of Governors.
The Medical Library of the Lagos State University College of Medicine (LASUCOM) was established in 1999. It is a branch of the University Library at the Main Campus, Ojo, Lagos. The Medical Library is strategically located within the College of Medicine to complement training and research activities undertaken in both the College and the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, through its available facilities and services. The Medical Library has a Library Committee that reviews all matters affecting the Library and its development.
The main objective of the Medical Library is to serve the information needs of the target users. To meet its education, research and patient care missions, the Library selects resources to support research, education and teaching. The Library also provides unhindered access to global biomedical information sources and assists clientele to keep abreast of knowledge and information in the specialties.
Though the Medical Library's primary users are the students and staff of the College of Medicine, other users include the medical and paramedical personnel of the Teaching Hospital. The Library also serve doctors, students, researchers and other health care professionals within Lagos and its environs as well as from other institutions across the country.
The Medical Library comprises of a functional Circulation unit, well-organized Bibliographic unit, responsive Serials unit, well-developed Audio-Visual and Cataloguing units. There is a Library extension that also houses the Education Trust
Fund (ETF) sponsored Information Communications Technology Centre (ICT), well equipped with networked stations via V-SAT for wireless Internet Access. Hence, the Medical Library strives to provide a conducive environment where users can study, seek and create information or explore new knowledge sources.
MEDICAL LIBRARY SERVICES
Reference and Information Services: This entails computerized and manual literature searches, selective dissemination of information (SDI), subject bibliographic compilations. The library also attends to and resolves reference queries involving use of both quick reference materials and other reference sources.
Lending Services: Lecturers in the College who are registered with the Medical Library are eligible to borrow a maximum of two (2) books for a specified period of time. Renewal of such is permitted at the expiration of the period. Serials as well as books on reserved and reference shelves cannot be loaned out. Students are not privileged to borrow books.
Reservation of Books: Especially for assigned readings on the advice of the Faculty Staff, some books in constant demand by clientele are withdrawn from open access and placed on reserved book shelves within the circulation unit. Access to use of these resources is only on request.
Inter-Library Loan: Since no library can be self-sufficient in terms of resource materials needed by its users, the Library has enlisted on this programme with other Learning Resource Centres for the benefit of its users.
Current Awareness Services: Aimed at promoting the essence of the Library as an important service department concerned with the provision of useful information that is vital for achievement of success by the clientele. These services help to keep the clientele informed of the recent accession by the Library.
Photocopying Services: Geared towards ensuring collection security and preservation, photocopying service is provided within the Library for the benefit users wishing to copy journal articles and few pages of textbook at reasonable service charge.
Other Services: These include Internet browsing, and several other services, the details of which could be obtained only when the library is visited.
Opening & Closing Hours
Monday Friday : 8.00a.m. - 9.00p.m.
Saturday (Except Sanitation days) : 9.00a.m. - 3.00p.m.
Sundays and Public Holidays : CLOSED
Courts, Boards and Committees to the College:
- Finance Committee
- Appointments and Promotions Committee for Senior Administrative, Professional And Technical Staff
- Appointments and Promotions Committee (Junior Staff)
- Committee On Staff Welfare/House Ownership Scheme
- Development Committee
- Admission Committee
- Promotions Committee (Academic)
- Curriculum Committee
- Research Grants & Ethics Committee
- Student Affairs Committee
- Postgraduate Education Committee
- Medical Library Committee
- Editorial Board of College Newsletter
- Scholarship & Prizes Committee
- LASUCOM KONSULT
- Animal House Committee
- Time-table/Examinations Committee
- Medical Education Committee
- Medical Board