Department of Community Health and Primary Health Care
(MB ChB, MPH, FMCPH)
Ag. Head of Department
Community Health and Primary Health Care
LASUCOM / LASUTH
The Department of Community Health and Primary Health Care is at the forefront of training a new generation of health professionals through exposure to the principles and practice of public health. The department consists of both teaching and non-teaching staff. The academic staff comprises of experts in various sub specialties of public health and community medicine involved in the training of undergraduate medical and dental students, postgraduate students and resident doctors.
To be a centre of excellence for training in public health medicine and public health sciences.
To develop skilful graduates who will be future public health leaders and to promote the health of communities, particularly the underserved, through high quality research, effective collaborations and partnerships both locally and globally
- Experiential learning and teaching excellence
- Commitment to research
- Respect for diversity
- Collaboration and an interdisciplinary approach
- Appreciation of the strengths and contributions of communities
- Global Partnerships
- To introduce the students to concepts and principles of Community Health and its relevance in the health care delivery system of Nigeria.
- To equip students with the knowledge and skills to plan, organize and evaluate appropriate health programmes (promotive, preventive, curative and rehabilitative) in collaboration with other members of the health team in order to reduce morbidity and mortality in the society
- To train public health specialists with core competency to assume leadership roles in public health organizations and efforts.
- To conduct research on public health problems in the state, the country and internationally.
- To develop effective collaborations with government and non-governmental organizations in improving the health of the society
Community Health and Primary Health Care as part of Professional MB, BS Degree
- Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Master of Occupational Medicine (M. Occ. Med)
- Master of Occupational Health (M. Occ. Hlth.)
- Residency program in Public Health and Community Medicine
The department fulfills its core activities of teaching, research and service through
- Didactic lectures
- Public health tutorials
- Weekly seminars
- Journal club meetings
- Understand attitudes, opinions and prejudice
- Distinguish normality from abnormality
- Demonstrations in the public health museum
- Clinic-based teaching
- Community engagement
- Community-based teaching and research
- Health care delivery
- Medical Outreach programmes
MODE OF INSTRUCTION
Students are taught using a variety of methods including lectures, demonstrations, seminars, tutorials, field visits, and clinic-based teaching.
ASSESSMENT OF STUDENTS
Students are assessed using formative and summative assessment techniques comprising of the following:
- Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
- Objective Structured Practical Examinations (OSPE)
- Objective Structured Clinical Examinations (OSCE)
- Oral examination / Viva Voce