Department of Oral Pathology & Oral Medicine
HOD Oral Pathology
She advanced for her post graduate education at Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) for her residency in Oral Medicine and bagged the degree of Fellow of Medical College in Dental Surgery (FMCDS) in November 2012. Her hobbies are reading and travelling. She is married and blessed with lovely children.
The Senate of Lagos State University approved the establishment of the Faculty of Dentistry in October 2008. The pioneer Acting Dean of the Faculty was Dr. Kekere-Ekun Tajudeen Ayodele who became the first member of staff in December 2008. Prof. Olaitan Ademola Abayomi became the Dean from March 2014- March 2016 and the current Acting Dean is Dr. Adebiyi Kehinde Emmanuel, an Oral Pathologist. The Department is staffed with academic, non-academic and technical staff. It is located on the 3rd floor of the ‘Storey’ building with the other departments in the Faculty.
Oral Pathology/ Oral Medicine Department forms the bedrock of student’s preparation for the world of clinical dentistry. The courses taught in the department build on the knowledge received from basic and clinical medicine. It provides an overview of oral and maxillofacial diseases, including the clinical, radiographic and laboratory investigations..
The aim of the programme is to provide exposure to basic knowledge in Oral Pathology, Oral Medicine, and Oral Radiology.
OBJECTIVES OF THE COURSE
- Demonstrate a logical approach to the diagnosis of oral lesions and their treatment
- Interpret clinical, laboratory and radiographic findings so as to arrive at a definitive diagnosis.
- Identify the common therapeutic regimens used in treating oral diseases
- Demonstrate knowledge of oral diseases common in the tropics
- Understand some gerontological diseases and the oral care/ management of medically compromised patients (uncontrolled diabetes mellitus, cardiovascular diseases and patients with malignancies.
- To achieve uncompromised excellence in diagnosing and treating oral and maxillofacial diseases, using modern and sophisticated equipment with highly knowledgeable and motivated staff.
- Produce students who will exercise sound judgment with total commitment’s to patient’s satisfaction.
- To create a conducive environment where staff and students can interact.
- To collaborate with other departments and institutions, both locally and internationally in research activities.
- Oral Pathology.
- Oral Medicine.
- Oral Radiology
- Oral Diagnosis.
The department delivers lectures in Oral biology, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology to Dental students. Students start receiving lectures from 200L through to 600L.They participate in tutorials, clinical and laboratory work. Regular clinical slides sessions are arranged to synchronize laboratory and clinical experience. Chair-side clinical sessions in outpatient Oral Diagnosis and Oral Medicine clinic reinforce didactic sessions and are assessed through in course and examination.