Department of Anaesthesia
(MBBS, Dip ABA, FWACS)
Residency in Anesthesiology – Martin Luther King/Drew University, Los Angeles 2001-2005
Fellowship Cardiothoracic Anaesthesia - University of Southern California 2005 -2006
Research interests: Intensive Care Management, Cardio-thoracic Anesthesia, Safety in Clinical Practice
With the establishment of the Faculty of Clinical Sciences in LASUCOM, the Department of Anaesthesia was created in September 2003. It is well equipped in terms of instrumentation and staff which enables it to perform extension works and the departmental activities. The Head of the Department co-ordinates the administration, teaching clinical and research amenities in both the College and the Lagos University Teaching Hospital.
To be the pacesetter Department of Anaesthesia in Africa.
To Create A Center Of Excellence For The Advancement Of Anaesthesia Education And Practice through leadership and innovation.
- Respect for all
- Personal integrity and accountability
- Excellence in patient care and academic research
- Compassion in providing care to our patients and their families with empathy, sensitivity and understanding.
- To create a center of excellence for the advancement of Anaesthesia education and practice through leadership and innovation.
- Basic training, acquiring knowledge to perform LIFE SAVING procedures.
- To be able to recognize, describe and manage respiratory insufficiency and arrest;
- To be able to recognize, describe and manage circulatory insufficiency and cardiac arrest;
- To be able to recognize, describe and manage unconscious patient.
- To have a sound knowledge of, and enumerate the general principles of
- To have a sound knowledge of, and recognize pharmacological action of drugs used in producing anaesthesia, analgesia and life support.
- To enumerate the physiology of pain and pain relief. Anatomical pathways of Central and Peripheral nerve in relation to pain.
- To be able to perform some Regional and Local anasthetic techniques.
- To be able to give a general anasthetic for minor surgical procedures.
The activities include Clinical Meetings, Morbidity and Mortality meetings,. Postgraduate training, Management in Intensive Care Unit, Anaesthesia services in Operating Theater in LASUTH (General Surgical). LASEMS (Trauma, Accidents and Emergencies), Critical Care Unit (Surgical, Cardiothoracic, Neurosurgery) and Ayinke House (Obstetrics and Gynaecology).
- Pre-operative assessment and pre-medication
- Classification of Anaesthetic techniques
- Anaesthetic Techniques: Surface, local and regional methods of anaesthesia
- Anaesthetic Techniques: General anaesthesia, inhalational and intravenous methods.
- Anaesthetic Techniques: Principles and uses of anaesthetic equipment and systems
- Choice of anaesthetic methods and techniques
- Post-operative management and intensive care
- Cardio-pulmonary arrest and resuscitation.
MODE OF INSTRUCTION
Instructions are given in the form of lectures, tutorials and practicals.
Students are taken through the practical aspects of Anaesthesia including General Anaesthesia, Regional Anaesthesia, Spinal/Epidural Analgesia techniques.
ASSESSMENTS OF STUDENTS
Students are assessed periodically through In-Course and End-of-Course Examination.