Department of Surgery
(I) OBJECTIVES OF THE DEPARTMENT
- Clinical Services
(A) Undergraduate Training
- To introduce students to the methodology of ascertaining and correlating symptoms and signs of surgical illness.
- To co-ordinate previously acquired knowledge in surgical anatomy, surgical physiology and pathology and relate same to the symptomatology and clinical presentation of surgical illness.
- To acquire and possess cognitive and psychomotor skills in the care of surgical patients, including the ability to identify relevant investigatory and surgical procedures in the management of surgical patients and be capable of performing basic tests and procedures.
- To be able to initiate the management of surgical patients and discern the indications for seeking appropriate support.
- To acquire the appropriate skills to act objectively in emergency situations.
(B) Clinical Services
To support the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital with high level specialist /consultant surgeons drawn from the core of lecturers in the department. The aim is to provide tertiary care surgical services at a high level.
To conduct research into clinical and scientific conditions as they relate to Surgery in particular and Medicine in general, the aim of which is to contribute to the advancement of knowledge and the improvement of medicine/surgical care.
(2) ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT
Activities of the different specialized units of the Department of Surgery comprise the Following:
- Out-patient Clinic
- Teaching ward round
- Business ward round
- Minor operating sessions
- Major operating sessions
- Emergency cover at LASEMS
- Surgical Grand Round
- LASUTH monthly Grand Round
- Organisation of Seminars & Workshops on relevant topics
- Morbidity and Mortality Review
- Undergraduate lecture/seminars.
(3) MODE OF INSTRUCTION TO STUDENTS
This is conducted through:
- Practical teaching and demonstration during the out-patient clinics, consultant ward rounds, operating theatre sessions as well as accident and emergency Centre attendance
- Grand Round attendance
- Attendance at Special Investigation units e.g. Radiology.
(4) MODE OF ASSESSMENT
(5) UNITS OF DEPARTMENT
- General Surgery Unit I
- General Surgery Unit II
- Paediatrics Surgery
- Orthopaedics Surgery
- Trauma/Lagos State Emergency Services (LASEMS)
- Burns and Plastic